For most small businesses and fledgling Start-Ups, trying to establish a brand is really hard work on very restrictive budgets.
A popular approach to building a brand with a limited budget is by making use of content marketing.
Effective content marketing is not easy & getting harder every day!
The company’s that succeed with content marketing do so because they have taken time and effort to clearly define and execute a content marketing strategy.
What is a Content Marketing Strategy ?
To understand what a content marketing strategy is we will first need to understand the definition of strategy
- A method or plan chosen to bring about a desired future, such as achievement of a goal or solution to a problem.
- The art and science of planning and marshalling resources for their most efficient and effective use.
Content marketing can be a very resource intensive and if you do not effectively marshal your resources by ensuring they are focused on specific and measurable targets your efforts can be totally wasted.
Taking the time and effort in devising content marketing strategy will enable your organisation overcome the significant challenge it face during it’s digital marketing campaign.
Content Marketing Strategy
A mission to increase the number of marketing qualified inbound leads by making efficient and effective use of an organisations digital marketing resources.
The internet is noisy.
The biggest challenge to content marketing is the fact that the internet has become an increasingly noisy and crowded market place with data and content continuing to grow exponentially on a daily basis.
Some alarming statistics:
- YouTube : 300 hours of video are uploaded every minute!
- Twitter : 6,000 tweets are tweeted every second
- Facebook : every 60 seconds 510 comments are posted, 293,000 statuses are updated, and 136,000 photos are uploaded
- Pinterest : 14 million items are pinned everyday
- Instagram : Almost 85 million videos and photos are uploaded everyday
To stand out amongst all this noise and to capture your target markets attention you will need to implement a heavily targeted and well crafted strategy that is laser focused on addressing your target customers needs and desires.
8 seconds is all you’ve got
Your customers don’t want your marketing message they want their problems solved they have no interest what so ever in what makes your company great or how your people make a difference!.
Customers want their need satisfied and they are ignoring marketing & advertising noise!
All your marketing messaging is complete BS to your customer, all they want to know is What’s In It For Me?
Your customers hate you and don’t want to give you money!
They sure as hell don’t want to be interrupted by you!
Your customers are seeking value not a promise of value!
Your content marketing strategy needs to achieve this by overcoming initial barriers and make a sale!
Your content marketing strategy should be focused towards two things fulfilling the needs, desires and wants of your customer and achieving the maximum number of inbound marketing qualified leads! Everything else is a by product of your efforts.
Your content marketing strategy is a focused and relentless campaign to satisfy the needs of your customer to convince them that they need you!
It needs to have clear on concise information and offer answers to the following questions
- What is it that you are selling?
- Why does your customer need it ?
- When do they need it?
- How can they get it ?
- What is their pain that you solve ?
In short your content marketing campaign is entirely focused on informing the market about your value proposition
You need to determine how you intend to find, attract, convince and convert customers!
Your content marketing strategy is NOT about
These are all elements of a digital marketing plan, but they are not your content marketing strategy.
Your content marketing strategy is what you need to help you define your content marketing plan and your content marketing plan is all about how you plan your content to fulfil the goals and objectives of your content marketing strategy.
Before you can attempt to define a content marketing strategy you need answer the following questions:
- Who is your targeted customer ?
- Do they have a specific persona ?
- What are they looking for ?
- Why are they looking for it ?
- Where do they look for it ?
- What information do they need ?
- What is there preferred format of that information ?
- What habits do they have ?
- Why is your organisation the best fit for the customer ?
- What parts of the sales cycle will each customer need your content ?
- How do your competition currently address these issues ?
- Where can you improve on your competitions content offering ?
- What are your customers common objection ?
- Can we address these objections ?
Your content marketing strategy is 100% focused on addressing the needs, desires, wants and time of your customer and it has very little to do with you!
Devising a clear and comprehensive content marketing strategy is not easy. It takes time and the analysis of a lot of data. It takes effort in understanding your customer. There is no easy quick fix solution to devising a content marketing strategy and it is the most resource consuming process of a content marketing campaign!
A unique background as business owner, marketing, software development and business development ensures that he can offer the optimum business consultancy services across a wide spectrum of business challenges.
Latest posts by Gary Woodfine (see all)
- How to run PHP Server with BrowserSync and Gulp - September 2, 2018
- How to change WordPress User Password in phpMYAdmin - July 28, 2018
- 8 Plugins you need for your WordPress Website 2018 - July 1, 2018