In a previous post we provided the high level business case for blogging, in which we discussed why you should consider starting a blog for your business. If you’re intending to proceed with a blog you will need to develop an effective business blog strategy.
The primary objective of your business blog, is to generate new business and your business blog is a platform for your business to build it’s brand, communicate with customers, educate prospects and create inbound leads.
The top 5 steps for an effective business blog strategy
1. Analyse your target
All too often organisations post content without any real idea of what ,who, where and why !
In order to deliver the right content, to the right people at the right time they need it, you will need to know what it is exactly what they are searching for. In order to create the right content for your business blog, you will need to understand;
- What are your prospects and customers pain points and habits?
- Do you have Customer Persona’s you’re targeting ?
- What type of customers would you like to attract?
- How will you fulfil your customers needs?
It’s important to remember visitors to your blog are not going to have slightest interest in your company, they won’t care that that you’ve employed a new Salesperson , or moved offices etc. All they’re really interested in, is solving their own problems. Your blog posts need to focus on providing solutions to their problems.
2. Document your Sales Process
The fundamental objective of your business blog is to generate and nurture leads. Your business blog needs to guide and lead your prospects through your sales funnel. Answering these following questions will help to to establish the right content you need
- Do you have a documented sales process ?
- how to deal with leads coming from your website?
- Is sales process process scalable?
- What information does your sales team need to effectively and efficiently pursue leads ?
- How do you plan to nurture and validate leads?
3. Align your Sales and Marketing strategies
Your sales team will undoubtedly have their fingers your customers base pulse, it is therefore important to frequently liaise with them to find out what questions and pain points your customers have. Doing so will provide you with more than enough material and subject ideas to address in your blog posts.
Ensuring you address the points raised by your customer base, will ensure you also address these issues for your prospective customers. This will also provide your sales team with collateral they can use to effectively communicate with your customer base.
4. Review your SEO keywords and phrases
When you initially set out on a keyword or key phrase strategy you will inevitably think of keywords and phrases that make sense to you. You will often assume that these are the keywords and phrases your customers will use to search for your products. However, as you will discover by following steps above, your customers and prospects will have different keywords and phrases in mind.
Review your blog content, and integrate your target audiences keywords and phrases into your content.
5. Devise and perform monthly KPI’s
In order to determine if your blog is making any progress or in fact delivering any results you will need to have some method of determining success. You will need to establish clear goals and objectives that you would like your blog posts to achieve.
At the minimum, you’ll want to know how your website is behaving and performing: traffic by source, conversion rates by offer, and bounce rates. However, if you really want to gauge the success and real value of your blog, you will need to include statistics like the average order size, lifetime value of customer and customer retention rates.
Bring it all together
Ensuring you follow these 5 basic steps will provide you with a high level framework to build your business blog strategy.
- Setting up a local WordPress Development Environment - August 6, 2020
- Why every business needs a website maintenance plan - March 11, 2019
- 8 Plugins you need for your WordPress Website 2018 - July 1, 2018