Java is a computer programming language and specifically designed to have as few implementation dependencies as possible. It is intended to let application developers write once, run anywhere (WORA), meaning that compiled Java code can run on all platforms that support Java without the need for recompilation.
Java is an operating system agnostic programming language providing the ability to develop Java Applications on any operating system.
Java is split out into two different components;
Java Runtime Engine (JRE)
Java Runtime Environment is a plug-in needed for running java programs.
- It is an implementation of the Java Virtual Machine which actually executes Java programs.
- The JRE is smaller than the JDK so it needs less Disk space.
- The JRE can be downloaded/supported freely
- It includes the JVM , Core libraries and other additional components to run applications and applets written in Java.
Java Development Kit (JDK)
A bundle of software that you can use to develop Java Applications, includes the JRE, set of API classes, Java compiler, Webstart and additional files needed to write Java applets and applications.
- The JDK needs more Disk space as it contains the JRE along with various development tools.
All that is required to develop Java Applications is the Java Development Kit (JDK) . This quick tutorial will guide you through the process of installing Java JDK on ubuntu 16.04 desktop to enable the development of Java applications on ubuntu.
This tutorial will install OpenJDK , which is the default Java JDK for in the canonical repository.
Install the OpenJDK
To install the OpenJDK simply open the terminal window [key]ctrl[/key] + [key]alt[/key] + [key]t[/key] and execute
Set JAVA_HOME and PATH
/etc/environment in your
nano text editor
Enter the following
close nano using [key]ctrl[/key] + [key]x[/key]
We now need to ensure that terminal window reads these settings
A unique background as business owner, marketing, software development and business development ensures that he can offer the optimum business consultancy services across a wide spectrum of business challenges.
Latest posts by Gary Woodfine (see all)
- How to install and configureAWS CLI on ubuntu - January 18, 2019
- How to start a new Python Project using Pycharm and Conda on ubuntu - January 11, 2019
- How to add Vuetify to Laravel Project - January 7, 2019