The internet has enabled business to be conducted literally at the speed of light, it is not uncommon for even the smallest business to have a website or even just a single page dedicated to it. You are able to find any number business services – from school kids offering an after school dog walking service to a large multi national widget manufacturer!
A web presence of some sort is no longer considered a competitive advantage, it’s a neccessity. Although there is some truth in the concept that your companies website plays an important role in your over all marketing plan and is vital component of your digital marketing plan, it does not really require you to spend a fortune on it.
If you’re just starting out with a new business or even if you already have an existing business and you just need a new website to promote a new product, and you’re in a rush to get to market. WordPress is the perfect tool for your business, enabling you to get to market quickly.
Discovering the benefits of WordPress
How can I run a website ? I don’t even know how to code or create websites!
You know longer need to worry about having to learn HTML or any other fancy computer programming languages because WordPress does all this for you. All you will need to do is:
- Write your content
- Click a button to publish your content
WordPress offers a number of competitive advantages as the most popular content management system (CMS) on the market
- Diverse options: Two versions of WordPress are available
- WordPress.com : A cloud turnkey solution; primarily used for blogs
- WordPress.org : A self hosted version to install on any web server of your choice; used for websites and blogs
- Ease of use: WordPress setup is quick and the software is amazingly simple to use
- Extensibility: You can easily obtain plugins and tools to enable you to customize it to suit your purposes
- Large and strong community: Large and loyal members-helping-members community via public support forums, mailing lists and websites geared to help people use WordPress
Choosing a WordPress Platform
You want to be sure that the platform you choose has all the options you are looking for. WordPress is unique because it offers two versions, each designed to meet various needs.
Choosing the hosted version from WordPress.com
WordPress.com is a free service. is a hosted solution, which means it has no software requirement, no downloads, and no installation or server configurations. Everything’s done for you on the back end, behind the scenes. You don’t even have to worry about how the process happens; it happens quickly, and before you know it, you’re making your first blog post using a WordPress.com blog solution.
WordPress.com has some limitations though. In a vast majority of the cases the average blog user will quickly outgrow this service. Due in part you cannot install custom themes and you cannot install plugins. Which will make it difficult to monetize your blog by sell advertising space.
Despite these limitations WordPress.com is a great way to start a blog, build traffic and test out an idea. The good news is, if you ever outgrow your WordPress.com hosted blog and you want to move to a self hosted WordPress blog. Migrating is a very easy process and we can help.
Self-hosting with WordPress.org
Using a web server is typically referred to as web hosting,which is not usually free but is not expensive either. You can usually obtain a good web‐hosting service for anywhere from between £3 to £15 pounds a month depending on your needs.
There are a few prerequisites you will need from your hosting provider:
- Ideally a linux hosting platform
- For simplification they should make use of CPanel the hosting platform of choice. Fortunately, most of the large hosting providers offer this
- PHP version 5.2.4 or higher
- MySQL version 5.0 or greater
That is all the technical information you need. If you still need help talk to us we offer a WordPress installation service to assist you
Once you have the Self Hosted version of WordPress installed you can install any number of themes, plugins and utilities you need. You also have full control of the core files and code that WordPress is built on. So if you have a knack for PHP and knowledge of MySQL, you can work within the code to create your own themes and plugins that you think would be good for you and your website.
You don’t need design ability to make your website look great. Members of the WordPress community have created more than 3,000 WordPress themes, and you can download them for free and install them on your WordPress blog.
The self‐hosted WordPress.org software lets you run an unlimited number of blogs on one installation of its software platform, on one domain. When you configure the Network options within WordPress to enable a multisite inter- face, you become administrator of a network of blogs. All the options remain the same, but with the Network options configured, you can have additional websites and domains and allow registered users of your website to host their own website within your network, as well.
- Setting up a local WordPress Development Environment - August 6, 2020
- Why every business needs a website maintenance plan - March 11, 2019
- 8 Plugins you need for your WordPress Website 2018 - July 1, 2018