Why WordPress Backups ?
Whilst ensuring your WordPress website is backed up and you have the ability to restore from those backups, may not seem the most exciting prospect or even the most crucial activity you will be thinking of on a daily basis, it really should be the most important procedure to ensure the success of your site.
It’s Ok my hosting provider does backups
Most people mistakenly believe that their hosting provider will ensure that their WordPress website is backed up. This is not usually the case.
Most hosting agreements will mostly will mostly guarantee that your hosting service will be available, and a minimum down time agreement. However, your actual website provisioning and backups are mostly your own responsibility.
They may provide a service to enable you to create backups and restore from them easily, but in most cases they will not do this work for you.
Even if your hosting company does state they provide a back-up service, they won’t necessarily work for the following reasons:
- Hosting company backups aren’t specifically designed for WordPress. This means they may not actually help when you need them.
- The backups may not be regularly scheduled, and they may not be often enough to be useful in case of a disaster.
- You may not be able to restore a single site from hosting company backups without restoring all sites in your account.
- You won’t be notified if the backups fail, so you’ll never know if they’ll actually be there if/when you need them.
- You’ll be at the mercy of your hosting company if you ever need to restore from backup. They probably won’t be as responsive as you think they should be.
It’s Ok I got a plug-in to do that for me
Although this is obviously an improvement from relying on your hosting company, it is still not really fool proof.
A number of folks will install some type of backup plug-in, for instance backup buddy, and may spend a little time learning all it’s features etc.
The downside is, 99% of users won’t even test if they are able to restore or even aware the steps they need to take to get a site running if there is a problem
At threenine we take care of this for you, so you can just focus on what you’re good at, writing great content and keeping your customers happy.